Monday, 14 August 2017

The likelihood ratio and its use in the 'grooming gangs' news story


This blog has reported many times previously (see links below) about problems with using the likelihood ratio. Recall that the likelihood ratio is commonly used as a measure of the probative value of some evidence E for a hypothesis H; it is defined as the probability of E given H divided by the probability of E given not H.

There is especially great confusion in its use where we have data for the probability of H given E  rather than for the probability of E given H. Look at the somewhat confusing argument here in relation to the offence of 'child grooming' which is taken directly from the book McLoughlin, P. “Easy Meat: Inside Britain’s Grooming Gang Scandal.” (2016):



Given the sensitive nature of the grooming gangs story in the UK and the increasing number of convictions, it is important to get the maths right. The McLoughlin book is the most thoroughly researched work on the subject.  What the author of the book is attempting to determine is the likelihood ratio of the evidence E with respect to the hypothesis H where:

H: “Offence is committed by a Muslim” (so not H means “Offence is committed by a non-Muslim”)

E: “Offence is child grooming”

In this case, the population data cited by McLoughlin provides our priors P(H)=0.05 and, hence, P(not H)=0.95. But we also have the data on child grooming convictions that gives us P(H | E)=0.9 and, hence, P(not H | E)=0.1.

What we do NOT have here is direct data on either P(E|H) or P(E|not H). However, we can still use Bayes theorem to calculate the likelihood ratio since:

So, in the example we get:



Hence, while the method described in the book is flawed, the conclusion arrived at is (almost) correct.

See also

1 comment:

  1. Am writing this great article to appreciate the good work of Doctor Omoluyi. I have been married for 2 years with pain and agony because my husband left me for another lady. I was reviewing some post on the internet on how i could get back my husband then, i saw a post by Lori Dante from Germany who testified of Doctor Omoluyi the almighty spiritual caster. I contacted Lori Dante to confirm about Doctor Omoluyi and she guaranteed me and gave me the courage to contact Doctor Omoluyi for help. So, i contacted him and he assured me that my days of sorrows are over that i will get back my husband within 12 to 16 hours. I did all what he told me and am very happy today that my husband is back to me and we are now living happily like never before and i can boldly and proudly testify to the world that Doctor Omoluyi is a good and remarkable helper that specializes on different kind of spells. If you need his help, then contact him on E-mail: ( doctoromoluyispelltemple@gmail.com ) OR Text +1 (914)-517-3229 for more info.

    ReplyDelete